The 2021 Wish 107.5 Music Awards: Official List of Nominees
It’s almost a year since the outbreak of the novel coronavirus, yet fear and uncertainty are still plaguing industries of all kinds and sizes. And the Philippine music industry felt the heavy blows and difficulties the pandemic has ushered in.
But amid halted shows, displaced live events jobs, and closed down gig venues, the potency, power, and constancy of music prevails. This is why we at Wish 107.5 will continue to celebrate the beauty of music — and the amazing force behind it — in good times and in bad.
On January 17, 2021, the much-anticipated 6th Wish 107.5 Music Awards will shine the spotlight on the finest Wishclusive performances, songs, and Filipino musical acts today.
The event, which will be streamed live via Wish 107.5’s official YouTube channel, will be top-billed by a stellar roster of performers including Asia’s Soul Supreme KZ Tandingan, hip-hop phenomenon Gloc-9, P-Pop breakthrough SB19, iconic OPM band Parokya ni Edgar, rising rapper Michael Pacquiao, singer-songwriters Clara Benin, Leanne & Naara, Reese Lansangan, Keiko Necesario, and more. Gretchen Ho and Christian Bautista will return as the awards show hosts.
A total of 70 acts, under 20 musical categories, are competing for the coveted WMA trophy — and the chance to help a charitable group champion their cause. The eligibility period is from November 1, 2019, to September 30, 2020.
Scores will be cumulatively obtained from Wishers’ votes (30%) via www.wish1075.com/wishawards and votes from a select panel of judges (70%). Polling period begins on November 9, 2020, and ends on January 15, 2021.
The 2021 Wish Music Awards official list of nominees
Wishclusive Pop Performance of the Year
- Inigo Pascual – “Balang Araw”
- SB19 – “Alab”
- The Juans – “Hindi Tayo Pwede”
- TJ Monterde – “Puhon”
Wishclusive Ballad Performance of the Year
- Darren Espanto – “Sasagipin Kita”
- Jay Kent – “Mahal Pa Rin”
- John Roa – “Oks Lang”
- Juris – “Di Lang Ikaw”
Wishclusive R&B Performance of the Year
- Jay R – “No Pressure”
- Kiana V – “Hide My Love”
- Kris Lawrence – “Anong Gusto Mo”
- Skusta Clee – “Zebbiana”
Wishclusive Rock/Alternative Performance of the Year
- I Belong To The Zoo – “Balita”
- Mayonnaise – “Pahirapan”
- Moonstar88 – “Naantala”
- Unique Salonga – “Sino”
Wishclusive Hip-hop Performance of the Year
- Kiyo – “Nandito Na”
- Konflick (ft. Ron Henley) – “Maskara”
- Michael Pacquiao – “Hate”
- Pricetagg (ft. Gloc-9 & JP Bacallan) – “Pahina”
Wishclusive Contemporary R&B Performance of the Year
- GIBBS – “No Hearts”
- Julie Anne San Jose – “Nobela”
- Paolo Sandejas – “Sorry”
- the vowels they orbit – “Kiliti”
Wishclusive Contemporary Folk Performance of the Year
- Ben&Ben – “Araw-Araw”
- Clara Benin – “It’s Okay”
- Keiko Necesario – “Right Next To You”
- syd hartha – “paruparo”
Wishclusive Collaboration of the Year
- Imago, Bente Dos – “Partida”
- Keiko Necesario, EJ De Perio – “Balang Araw”
- Quest, Rita Daniela – “Di Ko Akalain”
- The Juans, Janine Teñoso – “BTNS (Bakit ‘To Nangyari Sa’tin)”
Wish Pop Song of the Year
- “Happy Feelin’” – Rico Blanco
- “Love Goes” – SB19
- “Safe Zone” – ena mori
- “Sirang Plaka” – The Juans
Wish Ballad Song of the Year
- “Di Sapat Pero Tapat” – This Band
- “Hanggang Sa Huli” – Moira Dela Torre
- “Muling Maramdaman” – Dan Ombao
- “Pipiliin Pang Maghintay” – Noel Cabangon
Wish R&B Song of the Year
- “Better” – Julie Anne San Jose
- “Elated” – August Wahh
- “Lost” – Inigo Pascual, Moophs
- “Safe Place” – Kiana V
Wish Rock/Alternative Song of the Year
- “Huwag Ka Sanang Magagalit” – Unique Salonga
- “Lakas” – COLN
- “Sinungaling” – Zild
- “Sunsets” – Oh, Flamingo!
Wish Hip-hop Song of the Year
- “ABAKADA” – Gloc-9 (ft. Mark Beats)
- “Iisang Tulay” – Mike Kosa (ft. Skusta Clee & OG Sacred)
- “Marikit” – Juan & Kyle
- “Titig” – MC Einstein (ft. Flow G, Yuridope & Jekkpot)
Wish Contemporary R&B Song of the Year
- “Gemini Soul” – Jensen Gomez
- “Lost” – Paolo Sandejas
- “Teka Lang” – EMMAN *Posthumous nomination
- “Two Worlds” – Armi Millare
Wish Contemporary Folk Song of the Year
- “Evergreen” – Leanne & Naara
- “Kwarto Waltz” – Halina
- “Lifetime” – Ben&Ben
- “Wine” – Clara Benin
Wish Song Collaboration of the Year
- “Habangbuhay” – Noel Cabangon, Leanne & Naara
- “I-Boogie Mo Ako Baby” – The Itchyworms, The CompanY
- “Nais Lang Kitang Saktan” – Mayonnaise, Raymund Marasigan
- “Plunder My Heart” – Ely Buendia, Cheats
Best Quarantine-Produced Song
This category is a special distinction dedicated to artists who have challenged the limitations brought forth by the pandemic to come up with a fresh release that best resonates with people during these challenging times.
- “D’yan Ka Lang” – KONEKOLAB
- “Manalangin” – The Juans
- “May Pag-asa” – Moira Dela Torre, Jason Marvin
- “The Silence” – The Itchyworms
- “This Too Shall Pass” – Rico Blanco
Wish Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- Michael Pacquiao
- the vowels they orbit
Wish Group of the Year
- The Itchyworms
- The Juans
Wish Artist of the Year
- Clara Benin
- Inigo Pascual
- Rico Blanco
As in the previous years, winning acts of the major awards will be receiving a cash prize worth Php 25,000, plus an additional Php 100,000 for their handpicked beneficiaries.
Prowess, prestige, and philanthropy
In addition to the major accolades, the award-giving body will also honor musicians whose Wishclusive videos have surpassed at least 10 million YouTube views within the eligibility period through the Wishclusive Elite Circle.
This year, two awards named after the man behind Wish 107.5, Kuya Daniel Razon, will once again be given to music industry luminaries. The KDR Icon of Musical Excellence Award will be given to a notable name in the industry who has left a lasting impact on the country’s music scene, while the KDR Icon of Music and Philanthropy Award aims to give nod to an individual or a group that uses music as an instrument to spread hope and compassion to the lives of others.
Platform of purpose
Though the upcoming awards night is the first of its kind for the station as it will be held during the pandemic, the commitment to amplify what Wish has always set out to do from day one — to become a platform for Filipino artists and their music — has become more intensified.
“We are currently living in the new normal — where fear, uncertainty, and sadness are rampant. Our friends from the live events industry are some of those who have been heavily hit, which is why we are striving to remain to be a platform where artists can continue to share their music and impart messages of positivity amid these difficult times,” Kuya Daniel Razon enthused during his speech on the station’s sixth-anniversary concert.
“We may be living in challenging and disheartening times, but we at Wish will continue to spread joy and inspiration through music, and shine our light of hope and charity to the world,” the innovator concluded.
The 6th Wish 107.5 Music Awards, happening on January 17, 2021, will be hosted by Gretchen Ho and Christian Bautista. Stay tuned on our official Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages for updates about our upcoming event as well as the safety protocols that we will be implementing.
Check out the 5th WMA highlights here: